About Us |
How to Participate |
Biodiversity Modules |
2. Speaking Species I
An in-class activity to help students learn the factors used to identify species. Students
act as news reporters interviewing their assigned animal and to begin their journal.
- List of animals, assigned to students.
Amphibians; Pacific tree frog, Bullfrog, Western toad, Great basin spadefoot
toad, Roughskin newt, Pacific giant salamander, Long-toed salamander
Birds; Osprey, Bald eagle, American robin, White-crowned sparrow, Canada goose, Ruffed grouse, Dark-eyed Junco, Northern Pintail, Barn swallow
Mammals; Black bear, Mountain lion, Masked shrew, Douglas' squirrel, Mule deer, Bobcat, Raccoon, Northern pocket gopher, Hoary Bat
Reptiles; Western fence lizard, Short-horned lizard, Common garter snake,
Western rattlesnake, Ring-neck Snake, Painted turtle
- Student Interview Questions – make copies for each group or transparency
- Animal Fact Sheets,
Field Guides, Field
guides and online resources, and encyclopedia
- Species of Washington List (pdf)
- Data Collection Form (pdf)
- Student journal (small notebook with blank or lined paper) or download cover (pdf) fill with sheets of blank paper, fold and staple.
- Divide the class into teams of 2 students with 2 animals, one for each student.
- Distribute Data Collection Forms and student journals.
- Explain the use of the journal and data collection form.
- Each student team selects or is assigned an animal. Interview Questions
guide student research.
- Teams prepare and present “interviews” to the class.
- Students will practice online to find species codes (practice)
- Students will practice online spelling the names of common species (practice)
Note: # 6 and 7 are part of the Student's Guide
Student Guide »
Carnivore - any animal that feeds on flesh (Example: "A lion is a large carnivore.")
Herbivore - any animal that feeds chiefly on grass and other plants (Example: "Horses are herbivores")
Migrate - move periodically or seasonally. Example: "Birds migrate in the Winter."
Omnivore - an animal that eats animals and plants.